Beginner or advanced people can make Moroccan food during an entire day and impress their family when they come back! The Moroccan food is one of the best food in the world. The gastronomy is mainly made with chicken, spices, tajine, couscous etc.
If you want to learn how to cook Moroccan food, a lot of Riads are proposing it but it’s really different from other organisms that offer you a real private lesson as I did. We went to “Faim d’épices” in Marrakesh and met around 10 other people from other countries that spent the day with us. You can choose your day in order to learn different kinds of meal (couscous, chicken tajine, fish tajine…)
The director and supervisor is speaking French and English and explained us a little about Moroccan food. Then, we played a game of guessing spices. Blindfold we had to guess which spice we could smell.
After this little introduction, we made our own bread (Batbout), lemon chicken tajine and finally some Moroccan crepes (Msemen). Each people had his own utensils, ingredients and workplace to do his meal. At the end of the preparation, we ate our meal and enjoyed the peaceful place.
At the end, you are leaving with a little bag of spice and also recipes to do it at home. For more information: http://faimdepices.com/
If you want to try at home how to do the main course here the recipe:
For 4 people: Ingredients:
- 1 chicken of 1,4 kg
- 40g of crystallized lemons
- 150g of red olives
- 275g of onions
- 100ml of olive oil
- 30g of rancid butter
- 0,7g of Safran
- 4,2g of ginger
- 15g of fresh coriander
- 13g of garlic
- 180 ml of water
- Salt and pepper
- Clean the chicken with water and cut it in pieces.
- Slice thinly the onions and garlic
- Chop the coriander and the crystallized lemon
- Do a marinade with spices, coriander and lemon.
- Put the chicken into the marinade
- Chop the onions into the tajine at lively fire
- Add 180ml of water
- Let it cook during 40minutes
- When the chicken has cooked, remove it and add the olives and the rancid butter until it’s boiling.
- Put the chicken into the tajine and let it few minutes before eating it